Framing Brooklyn Heights

Brooklyn Heights was the first historic district to be designated in New York City by the Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1965. Thankfully, the last forty-six years have resulted in the preservation of some of the earliest frame houses in Brooklyn. Many of them were built even before Brooklyn became a city in 1834! So it’s no mystery as to why it is a treasure trove for architecture enthusiasts like us here at The Wooden House Project (wooden houses were outlawed in Brooklyn Heights as early as 1852).  Take a look at a small sampling of the lovely Federal and Greek Revival doorways found on Hicks and Middagh Streets; some old, some newly-restored.

24 Middagh Street

 

100 Hicks Street

68 Hicks Street

31-33 Middagh Street

56 Middagh Street

29 Middagh Street

- by Chelcey Berryhill